Monday, April 15, 2013

Playing with Shapes



Today I only had a few hours of painting play time. I decided to tackle a painting that had the "Uglies". Instead of my usual decision to gesso over an ugly and hopeless painting, I decided to just start painting shapes. I was inspired by these oval/ sunflower type shapes against what was a blueish background.  (now painted in greens)


I really took my time shading these little guys, layering 3 different shades of orange and white. Sometimes I really enjoy these simple shapes and shading that don't require much thought. When I was done, I looked at the painting to see where it would take me next. I kept turning the canvas until I realized these shapes would make great sunflowers. 


I created the two hills and of course... a tree! I'm looking forward to my next day in the studio... I can't wait to see where this painting will take me next! I'm sensing leaves and shapes in the bark of the tree... We'll see!


A NOTE OF SYMPATHY 

I started my day with two of my friends having coffee. Great way to start any day! I came home and couldn't wait to get into the studio. It wasn't until my husband came home around 5:30 that I came out of the studio. It was only then that I saw the news covering today's horrific events. I would like to say how sorry I am to anyone who was effected by these senseless bombings. My heart just breaks by these acts of terror. My prayers are for peace and healing tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment