Monday, January 20, 2014

WARNING: THIS BLOG HAS RELIGIOUS CONTENT







God gave me the gift of a miracle today. 

My best friend died recently…actually months ago now.
 Since her death, I have grown angry with God, 
kind of that Love Hate relationship. 
I know I can’t live without God, 
but living with God without Laurie became too painful. 
That’s where the anger came in.
 You see, Laurie and I… 
our whole relationship revolved around God. 
We were prayer partners. 
We would read the bible together, share devotionals 
and how they were speaking into our lives, 
we would pray together, do ministries together...
we were there for each other through thick and thin. 
I refer to Laurie as my Spiritual Spouse. 
There is a huge whole in my life without her.




Anyway, I have been complaining
 to anyone that would listen lately
 how pissed off I was with God. 
Laurie was gone and I had no sign or intuition
 that she was at peace with Him
 and safe in His arms in heaven.

I kept asking God for signs. 
At first I thought he was sending me wild turkeys as a sign. 
Long story… 
but basically Laurie would have called me a turkey 
for even needing a sign in the first place.

So this morning, I started my morning the usual way. 
I sat in my chair with my pile of books; 
devotional, bible, journal, and bible study. 
I always start with prayer asking God for personal requests 
and then leading into asking for forgiveness and a clean heart, 
and finally asking for God to bless the time I was about to spend with Him.
 I specifically ask for Him to show me 
exactly what He wanted me to learn and focus on for the day.




I started praying. 
Jesus interrupted me and said
 “Wait, I have Laurie here for you.”
“You have Laurie there? She’s there? Laurie are you there?” 
Laurie responded with 
“Of course I am here! Where else would I be Goofy!” 
I started sobbing. 
She went on to tell me that she’s been sending me flowers. 
She said not to call the new series of paintings 
“The Garden Series” 
because they weren’t… 
they were “Fields of Flowers”. 
She said they went on and on. … 
Laurie LOVED flowers! 
One of the last things we did together 
was walk hand in hand in her Garden 
admiring the flowers and enjoying the fresh air
 and sun on our faces. 
... She told me to stop mourning 
and get myself out of the mud. 
She wanted me to start glorifying God. 
She told me that whenever I felt lonely for her
 to just look at the flowers she has sent me.
 Then Jesus told me I needed to spend more time
 listening to Him as opposed to speaking at Him.



I need to clarify something at this point. 
I am a painter. 
I have until 3 weeks ago been painting strictly birds and trees. 
The flowers that I recently started painting just happened. 
There was no thought involved at all! 
I sat and just started seeing flowers on the canvas. 
My brush moved quickly outlining the different shapes… 
and before I knew it, 
I was staring at my canvas completely covered with flowers.


So, you’d think the story stops there, right? 
Well it doesn’t!
I then went to my devotional and as always, 
I would randomly open to any page. 
I felt God would choose what He wanted me to read. 
This is what it said:
“Be still and know that I am God. 
Your life has been tumultuous recently- 
full of change and new responsibilities. 
You have continued to spend time alone with Me. 
You need to set aside time for listening to Me- 
blocking out distractions 
and reconnecting with me in the depths of your soul.”
The devotion goes on, 
and you can read it in Sarah Young’s Jesus Today page 282-283.



About a week ago, a friend of mine, who also happens to be my pastor, 
posted some verses from Psalm 46 on Face book. 
I read the psalm that day. 
A few days ago, Psalm 46 came up in another devotional. 
I read again psalm 46. 
Today, I decided that when I read Psalm 46, 
I needed to read in a different version from the normal NIV version. 
I read it from the Message.

“God is a safe place to hide,
Ready to help when we need Him.
 We stand fearless at the cliff-edge of doom,
 Courageous in sea storm and earthquake,
Before the rush and roar of the oceans,
The tremors that shift the mountains.
Jacob- Wrestling God fights for us,
God of the Angel Armies protects us.”

Laurie’s favorite song… 
The song that we claimed as our Victory song over her cancer was 
“Whom shall I Fear” (God of Angel Armies) by Chris Tomlin.



Now I know this has been a LONG post…. 
But seriously, how could I have left any part out?

Today… God granted my hearts desire. 
Today, God gave me a miracle, 
and Laurie sent me Fields of Flowers!


8 comments:

  1. Hi Kim!

    Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story! Isn't it just amazing how God works...through anything and everything! I'm so sorry for the loss you've experienced recently. I will be praying for you as you continue to heal. I know it is a long journey, as I too have walked it before. But hopefully you can rest in knowing God is there, and will hold you through it.

    Your Fields of Flowers paintings are so amazing! What a beautiful tribute to Laurie!!

    Sending you many hugs,
    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the prayers, hugs, and words of encouragement! I hope all is well with you!
    Hugs!!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an incredible story, wow. I came across your work from the Bloom True group page. Your flower paintings caught my eye, they are absolutely gorgeous- and to now know how they started, it's just amazing. Your beautiful friend is definitely with you. What a story, thank you so much for sharing this <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Katie! I feel so honored to have had such a wonderful experience… I am grateful to be able to share it. Thank you for your touching and encoring words! <3 Kim

      Delete
  4. This is an incredible story and I am so blessed to have read it. Thank you. I had a similar struggle with God many years ago which slowly healed but I am reminded of each year on March 24 because of the event that happened that day. I too know I talk at Jesus too much. I swear there are days He must be rolling his eyes and cringing in pain. Your post reminds me, too, to be quiet and listen more. It's a message I know I need to heed and DO. I was particularly drawn to your flowers painting when you first posted it. I think now I understand why. Thank you so much for your beautiful art and your honest revelation about what came before it. I feel so blessed and grateful...and less alone. Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Luna for your heart felt message. I am starting to quiet down and finding some peace. I think realizing that there will always be a whole in my heart for her was a starting point. Anyway... finding joy more and more! Sending you love and giant hugs! Kim <3

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful story. It had me in tears for several reasons. Thank you very much for sharing it. I felt God talking to me as I read it.
    Such a friendship... your description touched me deeply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Retta,
      Thank you so much for sharing your heart felt message. It's such an amazing thing when one heart reaches another. It also seems to help make a little sense of the things that are so hard to understand and bear. Giant Hugs and Love to you! Kim <3

      Delete